Monday, August 13, 2007

ashes


Today a colleague resigned. He decided to do so because his life partner has been diagnosed with cancer and will undergo an operation next week. My colleague wants the time to take care of his loved one during the months ahead.

What would you do if u were in that position?
A cousin of mine was in that quandry a few months ago. His wife had cancer which had spread to her brain cells. He gave up his business, his golf, his fun time and basically his life to care for her right up to the end. She soon could not recognise anyone but she kept on knowing him. I remembered seeing him mix a health drink for her at the hospital. This was a cousin who had a rather naughty past. I believe he had even fathered a child out of wedlock. He had another child with his first wife and one more fom the present dying wife. He changed over the years. She was prolly the best partner he could hope for....they matched each other perfectly even though she was from a different culture and religion. She understood him. He was her second husband. She had a child from her first marriage too. Yes, they were lucky to have met and found each other. Then they were tested right up to the end.
Will my colleague have a similar experience? I hope not. It wasnt easy for my cousin. When I relate my cousin's story, it takes only minutes at the most. He had to live months with someone whose personality changed from his loved one into someone else. Someone who had good and bad days....mostly bad and very bad days.
It scares me that people die slow deaths. I hope when its time for me that I will go in a split second. No one needs to look after me. No one would need to change me or bathe me or whatever. I just want to go quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home