Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Thoughts at the car service center

I am getting my car serviced and checked.
Isn't it wonderful that the netbook/laptop was created so I can sit comfortably in this air-conditioned room, sipping tea and biscuits that the service center provides and yet am able to do my work, read the news, check my facebook AND write on my blog?
A guy just came up to me asking me how if I was using WiFi and how I had logged in.
I told him that I was using broadband.
He thanked me and went back to his seat.
As he looked older than me, I understood his difficulty in handling all this computer related stuff so i went to where he was and offered to help (not that I was any better at it!).
Actually he had erred in one of the log in requirements which is easy to detect and quickly enuff, I was able to get him internet connected.
He thanked me and asked me about my broadband usage.
I recommended him to get one cos it was the easiest way to get connected no matter (almost!) where u are. It is not too expensive but being of his generation I understood the look he gave when I said u make monthly payments to stay connected.
That prolly was my good deed for the day.

There is so much difference in the ways of spending of the various generations.
My mom still think that anything over $10 is expensive (even with the strong financial position she is in), I think anything over $50 is expensive. My nephews and nieces probably think the limit is $350.
My parents trained us to be quite spendthrift and this is one of the core values my siblings and I hold on to.
We do have a variety of degrees of being spendthrift though.
My eldest sister and my youngest brother are the most careful with money (but as my late dad would put it, sometimes they do 'penny-wise, pound-foolish' decisions too!)
My second sister is the most generous of us all but she is also blessed with being the strongest financial status.
God is also fair in his pairing of couples. My stingiest siblings got married to people that spend more and my least stingy siblings married people who save well.
Me? I handle my finances pretty ok I think.
I always say that when I die, what I own will go to the next generation (IF there is any left) but before that happens I am hanging on to it!.

The truth is when we die we really carry nothing but our spiritual earnings with us.
May there be enough for a ticket to a good destination.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june..what a perfectly wonderful post...so interesting and so happy!
that was so kind of you to help that man!..i, myself know nothing about broadband and it is good that you can stay always connected..those wif-is are becoming harder and harder to find!
bernie and i are careful with our money but not all of the time..ha!
we like to go on a spending spree every so often.
this year though, when we got two thousand from our tax return, we just split it down the middle and we had one thousand and we put the other on to our mortgage..in the long run, it will surely save us.
and then when we couldn't afford to go to norway even with the three thousand that dad golden gave us, well we gave dad golden the money back and he insisted on giving us one thousand of it..guess what?..it went on the mortgage too although i did buy myself a tiny new camera that is easier to carry in my purse and bernie bought himself a program that he sticks into his laptop to get any available tv channel here and in the near usa...we like the older classic tv programs.
what do i think too expensive in the line of monthly payments is over ten dollars for a cell phone.
we spend ten a month for thirty minutes worth of talking and we rarely even have to use it...just for emergencies...and they let you keep your time whatever is left and so when we are on holidays, we can use it to phone dad golden every day and a few other friends and we don't scringe on it...we talk a few minutes..
betty, my sister, on the other hand has such huge phone bills because she is on a plan...she has asked us how to go about paying as you go...we HAVE to conserve because gas here is now 1.40 a litre....i don't know what that works our per gallon june. probably over SIX dollars!
for the next generation, we will leave our house and everything else to our niece, rachel and she can share it as she likes..
i will be going to heaven empty handed but because that is god's free gift that i took, i will surely be there and THAT would be the greatest thing if i met my june...too nice to even IMAGINE!!
so glad to hear your voice again...love terry

3:26 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
Glad u enjoyed the piece I wrote at the car service center.
Yes,I can understand u splurging now and again cos basically that is how I spend too. Save, save, save, spend , save,save, spend, save, save, save....
Hehe.
It is important not to end up as scrooges, just as it is important not to be silly and spend all u earn. The worst thing is if u spend more than what u have.
It is a big pity that u could not make it to Norway. It was so generous of Dad Golden to give u the money to go. That is how it is with my parents too. They would GIVE us their kids whatever they have even though we already have our own earnings. In the same way, we also reciprocate because we learn by what we see them do (even if they do not TELL us what they do!)
We are such lucky people to be blessed with such wonderful parents. Hopefully we get to be as good with the next generation too.
Terry I will be most busy at work the next couple of weeks but u know me, when I am stressed I tend to write more sometimes :-)
But happily my vacation should immediately follow those weeks, so I am NOT complaining.
Now I have to get back to work.
Talk to u laters.
June.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home