Saturday, November 28, 2009

My nieces the dancers!

Concert Day.
We had a worrying start. Little A (almost 5 years old) was down with fever. The day before her parents had to drive her to the 24 hour doctor's clinic at 4 am cos her fever shot up to almost 39 degrees. They had given her antibiotics, fever and cough medications. A. was very insistent abut going to her pre-school concert. She was taking part in 3 events. 1 singing and 2 dances (a traditional cultural dance and a 60's twist). Teacher had said that everyone must come.
My niece should win the award for being the most courageous participant of the concert. She went on with her events even tho she was feverish.
I also believe that she was actually the most graceful dancer too. She moved beautifully, never too exaggerated but oh! so professional-like. Actually she looked so different on stage, grown-up and beautiful, all made up. Mom, two nephews (yes! they both decided to come!) and I did not recognise her initially when she took the stage!
She had a serious look, intent and focused on her job, one dhe did so brilliantly.
Little D (just 3 years old) loves to dance. She was to perform a Bollywood dance (meaning it was an Indian styled) dance. She moved so rhytmatically to the music , knowing all her steps. The headmistress called her Dancing D. D definitely surpassed all the other little toddlers in her age group.
My nieces are dancers!

Next day nephews and I went to their eldest brother's university to drive him and his stuff home from his vacations. (sister and hubby are away overseas). The night before he had called to say that his hand phone was lost, probably stolen whilst he was fast asleep in the midst of completing his project. He sounded panicky and disturbed over the phone. I had to talk him down, giving him encouragement aall the way.
Boys decided to sleep over at my condo. We had a great time. Eldest nephew and I had a long deep discussion. He had tears many times during the conversations. I felt his pain. Being a teenager is never easy. Its made harder when u have parents with high standards to keep up with. I am no cleverer but I was a teenager once in my life so in some ways I can relate and understand.
I am a morning person but boys are not so I let them sleep till late. Then we all went out for a subway sandwich before we went visiting both their sets of grandparents. There were also a few phone calls we made to the boys' parents.
We walked around and bought some CDs that were on sale.
Then we went over to their house. Boys decided they wanted to spend another night at my condo. We took some action movie DVDs from their house and brought them to my condo. We had a fun time trying to set up the DVDs which somehow refused to work. Finally got it going with eldest nephew's laptop.
Now its early morning. Its raining and boys are still asleep.
I am using the peaceful alone time to write this.
I am having a great 'vacation time' even tho I am still in my condo all this while.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

hi june..i have been without the Internet for two days.
just after i made my thanksgiving posts on my blog and then the sisterhood of the traveling scarf one, my Internet decided to go!
even didn't have a phone for the time!
i have just come here right away and i was so happy to hear about the girls and their concert, but sad to hear that the older little one wasn't feeling well. i think that she is a real brave girl and she DID deserve to win.
you sound like a proud auntie.
i went to see one of my niece's play one year and i was so looking forward to her singing,
she has a beautiful voice and like you, i am a proud auntie but when i sat in the audience, i was a MAD auntie!
the part that they gave my niece was inside a paper tree which danced around while the daughter of the principal sang the main part and she couldn't even sing that well!
i would have loved to see the little one doing her dance.
the way you described it so well junie, i can just see her in my mind's eye and my heart is skipping around just thinking about it!
oh i am so happy that gramma and the boy cousins went.
you know what? i think that their being there really helped your ill niece to do the best she could and actually perform three winning performances!
mom golden never let us go to dances but there is something that i have to tell you my friend, junie.
you want to know about terry, eh?
well, i had a wild side...i LOVED the twist!..i think that was my favourite beatles song..."twist and shout"!
hahahaha..i could do a pretty mean twist, i tell you..
my wasting muscle wouldn't allow me to do that now...shucks!
junie ..that is nice that you let the boys sleep in.
i, myself am a night person and every morning after dad golden phones me at seven a.m., after i say goodbye, i just roll over and fall back to sleep again!
well i am glad that you sound so happy and you are brave like your little niece.....you, yourself are ill and yet you gave those kids and your mom such a great few days!
is it any wonder why i have grown to love you?.....take care junie.....love terry

9:52 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Dear Terry,
Wohooooo! I would have loved to see to see u do the twist!
Yes, I am a proud auntie and I am so glad that the boys rallied around to see their cousins perform. Little A is still not fully recovered tho her sister little D who also got ill the next day has fared better. I am at my mom's house typing this cos I needed to come and see them.
The boys are back home and I will continue to keep an eye on them till their Mama and Dad gets back next month.
I am enjoying myself so much that I have almost forgotten the upcoming surgery for days. Isnt that stress relieving? :)
Its sad that ur niece was not given a fair chance to perform at her concert. terrible isn't it that the principal's kid was given that part?!
It really warms my heart to hear how ur Dad Golden calls u up everyday at 7am. My dad has passed on a decade now. I was daddy's little girl too. I miss him terribly but I know he is at peace where he is right now.
Hope all goes well with u and Bernie. More news later. June

7:42 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

dear june...i hope everything is going all right for you.
i was a little out of commission, myself for the last few days until yesterday when i put my ruby tuesday post in.
and now i am getting a little caught up.
i was sorry to hear that you had lost your dad. i just can't imagine the pain that you went through.
dad golden had six of us girls and i guess we are all daddy's little girls.
in fact betty, the oldest was such a daddy's little girl that he really was mad when she got married!
he didn't want to lose her.
shucks though, it didn't seem to bother him when i got married!.
and i was the first one of the kids to GET married.
when i married bernie, mom golden said that she was losing a son and the best helper she had ever had.
you see junie, bernie lived with mom and dad golden and the kids, while betty and i lived in a house together until i got married.
i asked mom golden when she said that about bernie and not saying that she was losing a daughter,
"what mom? what am i? chopped liver?"
hahahaha
that's ok though, mom golden and i are the best of friends!
in fact i took her out for breakfast today, took her second hand shopping and then took her for lunch to wendys'.
i am trying to fatten her up because she only weighs ninety pounds soaking wet and that is not good!
are you still on a little break from work? i am glad that you have had such a good time that you are not thinking about your operation.
you will tell me when it is though, eh june?
i will be waiting for your reply....love terry

june, are your nieces feeling better?

11:12 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
My nieces are better but I will only really know when I go back to my mom's tomorrow.
Glad to see u back on the net after the few days. I was worried about u being unwell.Hope all is better.
Bernie lived with ur parents before ur marriage? Is he a relative? Thats an interesting start to actually live with ur in-laws before being married.
Today I had lunch with some old friends that I havent met for years. It was fun and we promised to do it again soon. They just found out about JAR and were thrilled for me. Someday soon I shall write about JAR here. I got bits and pieces of it in my mind but have not had the time to sit down and put my thoughts,worries, happiness and sadness on paper/web yet.
Gotta go now.
Talk to u soon.
June

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home