Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Facebook

I opened a Facebook(FB) account because I wanted to see pictures that my brother's family took of my little nieces playing with goats.
Serious.
I had no other intentions and was not even aware of how extensive the facebook world was.

Then I found out that so many people I knew were on face book.
My nieces and nephews immediately put me on as their 'friend'.
I actually had the honor above their own parents cos inFB world u get to see how the young people communicate with each other in their own language, and this can sometimes be uncomfortable for the previous generation.
It says a lot of what they thought of their aunt to allow her in their world so easily. :-)

It also allowed me to connect with not only JAR but also with his family.
We joke, laugh and tease each other via the cyber world.
This works wonders for a LDR.

I have however been very strict about whom I let in as a 'friend' on my FB page.
It may seem like a free world in cyber space but I am still guarded.
Not everybody is able to 'see' the real me.
For some people, I shall forever remain what they think they 'see' as me and I do not intend to change that.

This year I was able to maintain connections with someone I had just met because of the existence of FB.
Otherwise it would have just been a hello and goodbye forever.

Yesterday someone from my distant past was able to contact me via FB.
It was good to 'talk' to him again but I don't know how advisable it would be to actually open my FB page for him to be able to see what I have become today.

I am comfortable in my own skin (as described by a friend)
People from the past need not necessarily understand that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june...my story is familiar.
i went to face book so i could keep an eye and an open ear to my nieces and newphews..i enjoy commenting to them but i sure got myself into a pile of trouble with one of gary's kids...he swore on a comment to me, not in anger or anything just by the way and i told him please not to do it and was he every mad at his auntie!
he did apologize a week later but alas there is a little wall that he has put up between himself and me and i do feel quite bad about it!
love terry

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home