Saturday, June 12, 2010

Vacation 2010 - Part 2




Tomorrow is my last day here in LA for this trip.
It has been quite a vacation.
We had an amazingly 'smooth' time in Alaska, Canada and Seattle.
Admittedly I got sea sick on the first two days on the ship but I was prepared.
I took the sea sick pills and got over it fast.
When the ship is in open seas, the waves are much rougher but once it goes into the inlets, its really an easy ride.
The weather was cold and many a time I was wearing 5 layers of clothing including underwear but I just love the experience of it all.
I survived the 6 mile hike in Juneau.
In fact I did very well and was walking alongside the front runners.
JAR and RBR were always walking fast.
WBR is walking alot slower now. His brothers suspect that he either has some leg pains or is experiencing the effects of age.
Being comparatively short, their one and a half step equals my one step so it handicaps me when I go on a hike with them.
My leg behaved beautifully and I have (touch wood!) not had a single day of pain at all.
I believe the extra clean Alaskan air has helped my body rejuvenate.
Maybe it has even cured me of some of my ills!

I met RBR's daughter LR who actually live in San Francisco when she drove us all to the airport. LR is getting married on my birthday this year!!! I won't be able to come cos it will not be around my vacation time.
I met RBR's wife RR when she came to the airport to pick us up after the trip. RR is an animal lover who picks up sick strays and cures them even tho the vet says that they cannot survive. She doesn't like to travel much cos she doesn't want to leave the animals (horses, dogs, cats, parrots, etc). I noticed that RR and RBR has improved communications after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. When I first met RR she was a slim beautiful woman but has gained weight since. She and RBR must have gone thru some rough spots but the surely the silver lining of his falling ill is that they appreciate their spouses better.

WBR is still very set in his ways. His brothers tease him about it. He doesn't communicate much with strangers but thank goodness I have always gotten along well with him. I believe he has a lonely life.
I tell JAR that WBR should have had a different life.
Their late dad was a rich farmer and as the eldest son, WBR should have inherited and become a farmer.
Sadly the father was a strict man and I think what should have been WBR went to his favourite daughter and her husband whom the dad took a liking to.
WBR never married. He moved to California to be with his brothers and continues to farm. His brothers have succesful careers and did well for themselves. However I can see how much the brothers love and care for WBR.
This close family ties with its happy and unhappy stories further draws me to JAR's family.

The only downer for this trip was the news of my mom taking ill.
Now my sisters are taking turns to care for her at night at the hospital.
I pray that she will be fully recovered by the time I get home.

JAR has been absolutely wonderful to me.
Besides the little presents that arrived via the UPS man, he has showered me with attention and companionship.
I like what he has made of his life now.
It took him alot of theraphy sessions to overcome alot of pain gathered from an unhappy marriage to a borderline personality.
His family welcomes me.
His friends welcome me.
Even his therapist welcomes me.
I asked JAR to take me to see his therapist after my mom fell ill.
I was hurting inside because I was so far away at this time.
I had spoken to this therapist when JAR brought me there after my dad died.
It was good to discuss with both of them.
Every visit I make here, there will be tears on the last night/day.
Hopefully not so this time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june..the time has gone by so quickly and of course there will be tears when you leave.
on both sides!
i have always hated good byes..i had too many of them when dad golden was in the air force and was transferred three times. i have never really gotten over leaving my beloved manitoba.
isn't it wonderful though june that with the internet, you can keep in such good contact with jar?.
he seems like such a good kind man.
june i am getting to know you better and better.
you are an honest person who doesn't shy away from the truth.
i think that i would really like rbr's wife rr. she is a girl after my own heart. i love animals too and i really hate it when they are abused!
i bet she really hates the way the hunters are killing all those baby seals..and they kill them right in front of their own mothers.
i am not against the eskimo people who kill them for meat and use their fur for warm clothing, but they don't hit them in the head with a spike...they hunt in a humane way.
yes, i think that i would like rr.
june, you don't know how happy i am to hear that your legs gave you no trouble...you know, even though your mom was sick, i am sure that she is praying for you and how the lord loves to answer a dear mothers prayers!
you don't seem to have minded the cold weather. i just can't abide the ontario winters and here you were in alaska.!..you are a brave soul!
well i will say so long for now and i can tell you june, i sure enjoy your telling of jar's family.
no wonder you love them so much!
and they, it seems love you!
love terry

10:17 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

are you home yet dear june and is your mom all right?
let me know, ok?..love terry

12:30 PM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi terry,
Thanks for taking time to look out for me.
Yes. I am home and even back at work already. I have yet to recover from a cough and cold that is probably the result of taking too much ice cream aboard the cruise ship.
My mom is back home too (we both got home on the same day!).
Unfortunately, she is still very weak and spends most time in bed. They say that is the aftermath of a serious Denggue Fever attack.
I try to keep her spirits up and get her whatever she might wish to eat. She does not have a good appetite for right now.
I am unable to spend nights with her cos I am too afraid that I might infect her with my cough and cols. She is way too weak for right now.
However we are all very happy that she has come out of the worst part of the illness.
She just needs more time to fully recover.
OK. Time to get back to work.
June

12:41 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

oh that is good that your mom is out the hospital but sad that you are sick.
it must be a little bit of a let down after your seeing jar and his lovely close family.
it is just too bad that you are an ocean apart but we are really thankful to the lord for internet and fairly low expense for long distant calls.
you are a good daughter to your mom.
do your have "ensure" in malaysia june?..it has been a real help to mom golden when she has been unable to eat. she just drinks ensure and it has all the vitamins and nourishment that she needs until she is able to eat again.

you ate too much ice cream?...ha! that wouldn't go too well with your healthy diet!.
whenever i eat ice cream, my throat gets all clogged up and i have a hard time breathing at night and so i very rarely eat it!

well junie, please look after yourself and don't work yourself too hard, eh? god bless you..love terry

ps..did you have any bad luck with your camera this time?...ha!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home