Friday, February 23, 2007

More from JAR

JAR continued to write from Italy.......

"I do not regret spending one minute on learningItalian. It has allowed me to feel comfortable reading menus, street signs, store opening hours,train/bus/airline schedules ,and some limited conversations about what the bunny had told me.
I have found that the people are pleased that I try and they help me even though most of them here in Florence speak English. I think they feel that at least I have met them halfway, they have learned half of the normal English and I have learned half of their language even though technically I am in THEIRcountry and it is my responsibilty to learn their language complete.

When I was a child my father would drive us around to look at a lot of stuff that we really did not want to see. Then when we got to something we really wanted to appreciate he would not let us out of the car. His answer would be "I can see it from here".
Well quite bluntly that does not work for me. I want to touch it, hold it, climb on it, smell it, taste it, and now listen to it and talk to it.
Think about it, which is better - a picture of a hamburger in a magazine or siting at In and Out and eating it while it is still hot and dripping?
Connecting in the native language is like you are making love to the environment around you.
It is just not the same if you are not present for the festivities.

My comment :
Yup, I agree. Maybe its the generation thing about our parents. Maybe for them, looking is all they were allowed to do when they were young. Sometimes I do the same. But now after my life experiences, I know that you need to do more than just look sometimes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home