Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Surgery

Pre surgery
My sister drove me to the hospital on the Monday morning. Its convenient living nearby to each other plus she actually works at the hospital itself.
I was happy to note that the medical insurance I have allowed me to choose a rather luxurious room for my stay. (might as well make full use of what the medical policy allowed; after all I had been paying the premiums for years).
They took my ECG, blood samples and chest Xrays.
I met my anesthetist (who is a subordinate of my sister). he asked me about family history. He said 'Is there anything (medical) that runs in the famiy?' I immediately answered "Hmmm I dont know except maybe for some bad tempers..." it made him laugh and he said that he should not say anything since my sisiter is his boss!
My family came to visit that evening. A lovely surprise was when my nephew (second sis's eldest son; the one I took from Uni when sis was abroad recently) offered to spend the night at the hospital to keep me company.
The room had a sofa bed. nephew IT and I chatted thru the night as we feasted on the cookies that everyone had brought for me. I started to fast from midnight in anticipation of the surgery.

Surgery day
Woke up early for my morning prayers. I believe that God is the strongest ally you will ever have or need.
They took me for a hook and wire procedure before the surgery. When I arrived to get the procedure done, I found that they were actually testing a new demo equipment for the ultrasound procedure which gave a more detailed picture of whats inside you. The doctor then saw TWO instead of one black mass in my. She called the surgeon and said that there will now be two wires inserted. When she was inserting the needle wire on the second mass, it collapsed.....it was NOT a fibroidadenoma like the first mass but was a cyst. So it was back to one mass removal.
They brought me back to the room before the actual surgery. I heard the phonecalls being made by my sister and nephew to other family members who wanted to come and wait thru the surgery.
They wheeled me into the operating theatre. My first experience in one. My sister was there all dressed in OT gear. I remember looking at the big lights and meeting the anesthetist talking to me. He related to my sister about my comment yesterday. I was given what I thought was an oxygen mask. They placed a hot air blower into my blanket cos it really is cold there.

Next I remember hearing a voice telling me it was completed.
The surgery was done.
I was in and out of the GA for the next half hour before the wheeled me out.
I saw members of my family when the main door of the OT was opened. My mom, my nephew, my brother, my little nieces......
Then I was wheeled to my room.

Recuperating took a few days. Was weak for quite a few of them'
I still need to go see the doctors soon to find out the pathologist's report on the mass. that will be in two weeks after my surgeon returans from an overseas trip..
Anyways I had to write what I remember of the surgery before I forget.

JAR emailed my sister to find out the latest about the surgery.
I am thankful that all worked out well.
God answered my prayers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june..you are such a brave person.
the way that you went through this serious operation and you sure gave the credit to where it was deserved...god.
he has brought you this far and he sure will keep on looking after you.
i hope that you will be able to see jar and travel to him junie.
that would be so nice!
please get plenty of rest dear girl, my good friend..love terry

1:27 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
Thanks for ur words of encouragement. I am making early plans for my 2010 vacations so that I have something positive to look forwards to.
Latest development :- I am now going to take care of the shooting pains in my lower back and left leg. I took a fall down a staircase during my vacation at Hearst Castle two years ago.
I went to see the orthopedic doctor and he has recommended that I enroll for physiotheraphy soon.
Well....I shall do everything to make me healthier and stronger in 2010.....so that i can have a great holiday without any pain, etc!
How is Bernie enjoying his retirement?
June

4:17 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

hi june..i will be so glad when all of these holidays are over.
we have been running here and running there and hardly any time to even come to see how you are doing.
i hope that you are getting all better.
bernie, so far is enjoying his retirement. right now he is taking a nap.
we lost our kitty this week and it has bee pretty sad around here.
we have decided not to get any more pets..it is too hard when they die.
have you got any pets junie?
tonight we are going to my sister bettys' again for new years eve.
half of the family will be there. the other half will be going over to my nephew, eric's place. that is grace's son and so her other three kids and there families will be going there.
i find that this will be better. it is really hard to take crowds these days for me.
will your nieces and nephews and your brother be coming to see you and your mom.
do you celebrate the new year coming in june?
i hope that you will have a very peaceful and pain free evening.
please know that even though i have not written, bernie and i think of you quite often and talk about you....love terry

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home