Friday, February 04, 2011

Chinese New Year 2011

The second day of Chinese New Year 2011 is almost over.
The Chinese celebrate 15 days of the new year, finalising it with the Chap Goh Mei where the singles will look out for a potential partner on that last day.
I have had a wonderful two days.
I went to my mom's on the eve of CNY.
Spent a night there, playing with my litle nieces.
I don't know who enjoys that more - nieces or me?
We have silly games that no one else understand such as hiding under the comforter which we pretend to be a magic tent, hiding from 'giants' who would turn out to be my mom or the maid!

Then on CNY I took mom out shopping prectically the whole day.
We then went to my condo to spend the night there.
We had dinner with my sister and her boys.
That was really fun.
During dinner mom surprised the boys with gifts cos they will bve leaving for boarding school soon.
Then she surprised both my sis and me with a cheque each.
It was a sizable sum.
My mom does things like that.
She said that when she fell ill last year she had decided to give away some of her assets to her children.
I always tell her she should NEVER give away all that she owns.
One, because everyone needs to earn their own living.
Two, u never really know who u can trust forever.
Three, u never know who will actually outlive u.

It made my mom happy to do what she did.
Previously she gave us cheques when we had family get togethers so everyone of her five children received their share at the same time.
This time she gave us on an individual basis.

God bless my mom.
When I was younger, an close Indian friend once had her astrologer (?) do a life fortune telling on me!
I took that in fun cos I do not believe in foretelling.
Anyways the guys apparently said that I was supposed to really love my dad and respect my mom.
I did think that he got that part rather right.
But that was then.
Now at my age and stage in life and looking back at my life,
I know that I love and respect BOTH my parents for always being there for me.

p.s. My nephew might be home as early as tomorrow if his flight goes thru!

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june..so happy to read this and read between the lines the true love that your family has for each other!
it is not unusual that your mom is giving to her chidren.
the last few months that we have been spending time with mom and dad golden, we see that mom golden is doing the very same thing..not money wise because she has not got a lot but her tresures that she has collected through out the years..she has been giving them to her children and their children.
it bothers me to see her do this because we want to see her and dad golden around for many more years!
mom golden will be 81 on feb 18.

junie, your nieces and nephews are so fortunate to have such a great auntie as you!

oh and i am so happy about your nephew..several times in the still of the night i have prayed for him!

love terry

11:00 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Yes Terry,
I know what u are saying. I try not to think of the implications of my mom distributing what she has.
We all want her (plus my dad, but God has chosen to have him gone earlier) around for a long long time too.
Right now the way I look at it is I want to make the best of whatever time with whoever that is with me at that moment.
Thank you again for ur thoughts and prayers.
June

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home