Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Puppy Love

H was JAR's cute Bichon Frise little puppy when I visited him the first time many years ago.
When JAR went to work I had H and Smb the parrot to keep me company.
H would follow me everywhere. JAR had H all dressed up for my visit. I think I remember H wearing ribbons for that visit.
H was so lovable.
As a Muslim, dogs are considered an 'unclean' animal. If u touch one when it is wet, u are required to cleans that part that touched it first with clean soil and then with six washes of water.
But in this day and age they have in the market soap products specially made for this purpose. Its clay based soap and u can cleans urself as u normally would. Wallla, its all so easy.
I had no problems with H even though initially I was quite wary.
I just spoke to the little puppy in my native language, telling it that "dry is ok, wet is not'.
It was like it understood me (as did all of BRB's dogs too).
Somehow I never got any dog saliva on me or got touched when the dogs were wet.
Anyways now I also travel with the clay soap which is recommended for such cleasing.

The story of H had a tragic ending.
Apparently S, JAR's ex visited the then family home sometime during the divorce proceedings.
The poor unhappy woman was in a rush I suppose and somehow she ran over the little puppy with her car.
JAR was devastated at the loss.
He buried H in the garden of the huge house that had so many bitter and sad memories.
It was weird cos on that day (I was in my own country) I had this sudden sense of JAR needing me and I called him on the phone. There he told me about the sad loss.

For many years JAR lived with just Smb the parrot and thought many times about getting a new puppy.
I did not encourage him to do so cos I really do not like the thought of animals in cages (even though Smb had a huge one).
I told JAR that with his current lifestyle of travelling a lot and working all day, it would not be fair to leave a little puppy all alone in the house. Smb is an old soul of a parrot and is able to keep itself company, mimicking the TV and JAR's voice all day. But a new puppy? It would be at a loss.

A few weeks ago JAR told me about a cute puppy he saw at the pet store.
He visited the puppy several times (as I encouraged him to do)
Two days ago, he took the puppy home.
I am happy for JAR cos I know some lost part of him is now getting fulfilled.
I did 'interrogate' JAR about how he would make sure that the puppy gets taken care of.
But I told him that now he has made a major decision, he/we need to deal with it.
JAR leave for more places before the year ends, the next one in just a week's time.
Little puppy will be taken care of my a friendly neighbour who has also cared for Smb when JAR is away.
The little puppy is in many ways lucky.....it will definitely be loved and cared for.
And JAR will also be lucky cos Puppy's love is back in his life!

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

what a cute and well written story of love june!
i can just feel the heartache when jar lost his first puppy so tragically, and now the happiness he has with his new one. it IS unfortunate that he has to leave the little guy so much.
last year when we got home, bernie's kitty wouldn't even give him the time of day. that kitty was very hurt that we had left him so long[for four weeks] and i don't really think that he ever forgave bernie!
three months later bernie's little buddy passed away.
it would be nice to have another one but i think when they die it is like losing part of the family.
i am sure jar felt this way about h but i am so glad that he has another puppy...young enough to know that sometimes jar has to go away.
bernie's cat was about 14, and that was the first time that we had ever left it so long and so he never did learn!
i do not like being licked by a dog either junie!..or them touching me with their wet noses..
that clay soap sounds like a real good idea!

i have not come here for a few days.
tuesday when we took mom golden to the hospital for x-rays, bernie and i, while we were waiting saw my cousin little marion coming into the hospital and she was crying.
after i threw my arms around her, i asked her what was wrong.
she told me that one of our cousins[her niece][who she was very close to] had died of a brain aneurysm.
. june, cathy was only 32 and she has left behind a 17 year old son and a 7 1/2 year old baby and a beloved husband.
the last two days have been very sad and tomorrow is the funeral...thinking of you and wishing god's blessings on you and your mom and your whole family...love terry

11:41 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
JAR is progressing very well with the little puppy.
Its sad to hear about Bernie's cat but maybe someday he too will get another kitty's love.
Sorry to hear about your cousin Cathy.
I too had a cousin who just passed on a few weeks ago. She was a recovered breast cancer patient for about 12 years but the cancer came back in the form of bone marrow cancer. She just had her first grandchild (her daughter is in Australia so she never got to see the baby yet. Her husband and her were supposed to fly over for the birth but she had just gotten the results of the test.)
Sad stories huh?
We just celebrated Eid here so that's one happy news.
Talk to u soon.
June

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

puppy is adapting well, a few poops in the house. But it is nice to come home to an excited-to-see-me puppy.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home