Saturday, October 02, 2010

Do not accept excuses, instead give choices!

Friday I went to my mom's as usual.
She appears slightly better and I did not give her a chance to wallow in her pain. Yes, she's had some serious physical downturn recently but there is also some aftermath that is more phobic in nature.

We got a massage lady (who is really a nurse who works at the private hospital where she stayed during her dengue bout) to come and give her a luxurious relaxing time. She enjoys that.

Mom also gets visits from her other children and grandkids and I know that keeps her happy. For a couple of weeks she had refused to see TV or let us buy her newspapers. These two are her most favorite daily routines and it was difficult to see her just sit and not do that. Her excuse was she just gets dizzy.
This weekend she was watching a little TV :-)
On Saturday, before leaving, I went out and bought her a newspaper and refused to listen to her excuses of not wanting it. I just said, "the paper is not a headache giver, if u feel weak, dont read it. If u feel ok, maybe u can just see some of it." :-)
Thats what I mean when I say that I just wont accept her excuses. Instead I give her choices.

I will be working on Sunday this week so I have to return to the condo early. I contacted my niece and we discussed possibilities of a year end holiday. Being optimistic, I am hoping my mom will be well enough by December for a short break.
Who know?
Being positive is what keeps me going.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

that is great june!
you children are the real medicine that your dear mom needs.
whenever i talk to mom golden on the phone, it seems that she has a newer pain.
but bernie and i go over every night and after a while she is her old self..i think in her case she gets lonely.
we just got back from her and dads now. bernie spent a fair bit of time scanning her photo albums and when ever he wanted to know who someone was, he would ask mom golden and then she would tell him and then she would tell us stories about that person.
does your mom have some good old photo albums june?...it might be a great idea to look at them with her.
you children are very good..so many times you don't see this in a family.
one thing if your mom has kept up all of these years reading the newspaper, her brian will be as bright as can be!
take care junie and don't you work too hard, eh?
another vacation would be just great!...love terry

12:13 PM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
My mother slowly improves.
Talking about photo albums, my brother recently collected the old photos of my mom's world travels and made a photo-book out of them.
He has a photo shop and has just purchased a special machine from Finland for that purpose.
Yes, we all love our mom, much as u and ur siblings love ur Mom Golden. :-)
We are all lucky to still have them in our lives.

June

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home