Monday, March 22, 2010

Polygamy

People of other cultures do not understand the polygamous life Muslims are allowed to have.
A Muslim man may have up to four wives if he is able to afford and be fair (this meaning more than just being able to afford in terms of finances but also in his ability to deliver other physical requirements that a man is to give his wife). He must be fair to all his wives.
There are other cultures like the Christian Mormons who also practice polygamy but they often take more than the 4 allowed to a Muslim.

Personally I think that only a man with the qualities close to a prophet is able to be really 'fair' when he has more than one woman.
I suppose there are some good points that those pro-polygamy can highlight but let them write in their own blog about it.

In my father's family where my grandparents had six sons and three daughters, polygamy is frowned upon.
I have relatives who have wed again and again but only after they divorce the previous partner or death had taken the previous partner.
I love that my dad's family has those views and I hope it follows thru the next generations.

My mom has only one living brother now.
Her eldest sister has passed on in childbirth leaving four children.
Her younger sister died in childhood.
This blog is about my mom's brother (mostly).

My uncle had married a beautiful long haired (previously) Christian lady who converted and became a very good Muslim lady.
She gave up her job and her family to come live here.
They have 3 daughters.
After a few years of married life, my uncle probably had an itch and got involved with a divorcee who had two children of her own.
He married the second woman and had two daughters with her.
My poor first aunt was frustrated and spent many phone calls complaining to my mom (poor mom had to listen and listen...). The situation hurt my aunt and she became a bitter person.
Her three girls faired no better.....children are more perceptive and sensitive in situations like this.
They had a high ranking govt official for a dad but they were not able to achieve good academic performances thus did not get good degrees and well paying jobs later in life.
My aunt (prolly due to stress) developed bone cancer and passed on almost 5 years ago.

My uncle never admitted or introduced his second wife to my mom all those years.
He pretends that he had only one family.
He is otherwise a good brother to my mom, and they even had properties and a joint ownership of a business.
The second wife was trying to get recognition from my mom (Mom is like the matriarch of her family cos she is the eldest surviving child).
It was pitiful yet irritating.

Now my uncle has finally introduced his only surviving wife to my mom.
Life goes on.

I still find it hard to accept the 'new' wife.
I remember the beautiful first wife when I first saw her when she first arrived here to marry my uncle. I am so glad that she got to be a good Muslim and hung on to religion during those trying years.
I have to accept the change that time brings us.
I have 2 new cousins as well as the 3 girl cousins from my uncle.

I haven't finished writing about polygamy.
This is a true story about a polyamous marriage where there was no fairness for the wives and the children.

I remember my dad and I appreciate the values I was taught about marriage and love.
I love u dad.

Footnote:
When JAR first heard about polygamy being allowed, he gave a cheeky smile, saying that it sounds like an interesting situation.....I responded by saying 'Yeah, sure.....but only after I am dead.'
Even the prophet was true to his wife Khadijah and he was married only to her alone throughout her life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

dear june...i think in fact i KNOW that i would never be willing to share bernie with anybody!
i know that the mormon men DO have lots of wives, and when you see news reports on them, the wives look happy but i don't know...i would never even be able to pretend to be happy!
your dear mom has gone through some sad times, losing so many relatives.
that is really sad that her sister in law died in such extreme sadness and such horrible pain..well there is no pain or crying in heaven where she must surely be and that part is good, but how sad that she had to share her husband's heart with another junie!
i don't think that you will have to share jar's love with another.
just what i have read about him shows me what a sweet, caring person he is and just what i read about you shows me how much you love him!
true love will always prevail dear friend.
i am a born again christian, i love you junie and am so happy to have you as my friend!
junie, i hope that your mom and her other sister in law grow to like each other because i think that it would make the situation to be a whole lot better....love terry

ps it is where you are 4:30 am and you are sleeping and having sweet dreams of jar!..ha!!

3:32 AM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
Thank you for continuing to read and keeping me company in this cyber world.
This year I have been able to keep my resolution to do my beloved reading even when I am not on vacation.
Now I am about to enter into my very busy period at work so I am more stressed out. Reading and writing on my blog helpes ;)

Terry, as a Canadian, u might be able to help me be prepared for the colder climate of Alaska!
My basic rule is to watch what JAR and the gang wear. If they have short sleeves on, I wear long sleeves. If they wear long sleeves I wear two layers of clothing.
Being from the equator I tend to feel the cold more.
I looked at the cruise webpages and I see the Caucasians wearing layers of clothes and thick clothing. O My!!! What can this gal wear to keep warm?!

My mom has recovered from her bad cough so we had a good time shopping last weekend :)

Talk to u laters.

June

6:07 PM  
Blogger Terry said...

everything ok june?.....love terry

2:14 PM  
Blogger akumangkok said...

Hi Terry,
Yup, things are good. Busy here, working even this Sunday! But its Saturday right now and we are going to my little nieces' sports day this morning!
We went shopping to buy them new sports shoes last evening. Now they even have pink colored ones!
Laters.
June

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home